OK, this probably isn't as funny reading it as it was in person....
When I went in for baby's WIC appointment, they gave me all her formula except for 1 can, that 1 can they put on my WIC card. Well, it is near the end of the month and we are out of formula so I went at lunch to get my 1 can.
Now I will be completely honest and say, that when I had Blaine, I was on WIC. But back then, they gave you these HUGE color coded paper cards that you had to lug around. Now it is so discreet, on a "Lone Star Card" that looks like a debit card. So I'm thinking this neat little debit card they gave me will be AWESOME!!! WRONGGGGGG!
I am checking out. Keep in mind, this is all over a $14 can of formula....
They run this card through 4 times, everytime it was denied. The line is building, 6 buggies deep now and this is the express lane, my neck is getting red and I'm feeling a little faint. People are staring, people are judging, the cashier is being so rude, she gets frustrated and goes to the next cashier over.... whom looks up at me with this COMPLETE AND TOTAL look of judgement, looking at me, looking at the card, looking at me, whispering to my cashier......
My dear friend (who is VERY) outspoken, announces loudly.... "SHARON, I AM SO GLAD THE STATE GIVES YOU FOSTERRRRRRRRRRR PARRRRRRRENTS A SUBSIDY TO HELP PAY FOR THE CHILDREN YOU SO LOVINGLY TAKE INTO YOUR HOME".
I just about passed out. But, I am sooooooooo glad she did it, because it changed the cashier's attitude, and she realized this was WIC, not food stamps so it had to be rung up differently.
We get back to work and share the story with our co-worker. She says "you KNOW why they did that don't you?".... No, why? She says, people sell those cards for drug money. They are looking at you thinking you bought this Lone Star Card illegally!
oh to be so naive.... I've got a lot to learn!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I never would have that of that. You probably did look a little to clean and professional to need the card. Your friend is awesome!
ReplyDeleteHooray for your friend!!! I was on WIC with my oldest two and i remember those coupon things...
ReplyDeletePeople need to get over the judgmental thing but they won't, i would never have thought about the cards being sold for drugs, makes sense i think but still...
How sad that people actually DO that!!! Your friend is awesome :) I would have done the same thing!
ReplyDeleteOh Geez! People will stop at nothing. Your friend cracks me up! I loved her response for you.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it funny how people's mindset changes when they hear you are a foster parent? I'm so sorry that happened to you, but it sounds like you friend came to your rescue!
ReplyDelete