Thursday, January 8, 2009

Broken

Do you ever have days where you just feel BROKEN? You know that soul shattering, effort crushing, ego bursting, broken feeling? I am having one of those days today. I KNOW there is a spiritual battle going on... everything I strive to be great at is being attacked by the enemy. So I am keeping that in mind... and tomorrow I will wake up and start a new day. But until then, it is hard to keep my chin up. Today I feel a failure in so many ways. I pride myself in doing a good job, especially in the things that are important to me. It seems like today pride is not a good thing to have.

The struggles with Blaine... I knew they were coming. I know he is a good kid, did I really think I was a good enough Mom that we wouldn't have these struggles? I've seen parents much better than I end up with the most horrific situations with their kids. I've seen parents that don't do anything with or for their kids and the kids turn out fine. But I guess in an egotistical naive way, I did think I had done a good enough job that we wouldn't have normal teenage issues. I guess I thought I had done a great enough job raising this child, that we would be void of any teenage struggles that I see so many parents going through. Well, I was wrong.

And then my job. I work for the best boss ever. Not as good as Mel's boss, but almost. :-) Well today he let us know that he was disappointed in us. Ouch... that hurts. This man deserves so much more than I've given over the last few months. I feel so shameful that my boss had to get on to us (and he was so nice about it). I should be doing the best for him, and I haven't. I have been lazy and lax and he deserves so much more.

Then my boss shares that we will not be getting a bonus this year. Profits are down. That bonus (although I don't deserve one with the performance I've given) was to pay for our family vacation this year. We haven't taken a vacation in 2 years and I so desperately want to take my kids to so many places before they are grown and have families of their own. And I am running out of time.

I just feel like I haven't done my best in anything that I do. My marriage, my kids, my job, my spirituality.... and today I just feel like one big failure.

I know it could be so much worse. I REALLY do. But today was the epic "straw that broke the camel's back" for me.

I am determined to not let the devil win this one. Writing is therapeutic for me, so I am getting this out instead of keeping it in... so that tomorrow I can wake up and have a better day, a better attitude and be a better person.

FIVE THINGS I AM THANKFUL FOR:
1. That no matter what I fail at throughout the day, in my dogs' eyes I am still a hero.
2. I am thankful for caramel fudge sundaes. I sure could use one today!!!
3. I am thankful that my kids are healthy.
4. I am thankful that my husband loves me no matter what.
5. I am thankful that I am eating lunch with my Mom tomorrow... I sure need her.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Sharon...no bonus really stinks!!!! Maybe we will get lucky and win the lottery. :) Hang in there...I am praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon I do understand broken but I also know that you are not a failure in the least. Send that lie right back to the pit from which is sprang!!

    Sorry about no bonus, that is one of those crushing things...also don't discount what you are going through because it could be worse. It could be but that does not make your pain any less painful!!!

    Love love your 5's and I love you girl!! Let me know if I can help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((Big Hugs))) One thing you should know is we all go through times like this--and they do get better! The enemy likes to kick us while we're down and feed lies of failure to us so we don't get up. You have a right be sad and disapointed. It's that which drives us to pray sometimes. But know this, you're a good mom and those seeds you've planted in your son were not in vain. Today is a new day too :) I hope it's a better one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like bad things all pile up at once, don't they...Keep your chin up, you are no failure..and go get yourself one of those caramel fudge sundaes. :) Sometimes when I have had a rough go of it, I treat myself! You are a terrific mom!

    ReplyDelete