It was this week, FIVE years ago, that I lost my "Mammaw" Wilson. She was a legend, an icon in my eyes, a strong woman, someone I truly miss every day of my life. I still have dreams about her, I still smell her "scent" sometimes during the day. I love this woman and miss her so much.
She was a wonderful Mom, a wonderful Grandmother, she always had a smile on her face, she loved jewelry (it finally dawned on me where I got my love of jewelry from), she was married to an alcoholic, yet I remember her always smiling, laughing, cooking, doing for others...
Nothing I write can sum up the amazing qualities this woman possessed. She cooked, she sewed, she did ceramics, she quilted. She taught me how to sew and how to paint ceramics. I am who I am in part to this woman. She was one of the instrumental people in my life that helped mold me into who I am today.
I remember one week she kept us while my parents went on a ski trip. I LOVED when she would come stay with us, it was one on one time with Mammaw. One night for dinner she made my brother and I salmon and eggs. Like the canned salmon, that lord knows had probably expired 10 years before that. My brother and I were mortified, but had to "clean our plate" before we could go outside and play. So we decided we would stuff the food in our mouths and run outside and dispose of the food. Our plan worked, it was perfect. And it sure did make for some laughable memories.
Her last days, we knew they were coming. We all traveled to see her for "one last Christmas". She had moved to a nursing home and we all took turns visiting her so she would not be overwhelmed. I remember her telling my cousin that she was ready for the angels to come take her away. Little did we know, that we would be back that next week to bury her and put her to rest. The angels DID come and take her away, to a much better place.
So today, I want to pay tribute to a woman that means the world to me. I love you and miss you so much Mammaw, and hope to see you one day in heaven.
FIVE THINGS I AM THANKFUL FOR:
1. Mammaw Wilson
2. That my work day is over, and it wasn't too hectic
3. That I have food on the table to feed my kids
4. That I have a roof over our heads to keep us warm from this freezing rain
5. That I am a child of God, and that he loves me despite my MANY faults.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What a beautiful post - your Mammaw sounds like she was a special lady! :)
ReplyDeletelove your post and list sharon!!
ReplyDeletesounds like she was a wonderful person!
ReplyDeleteNice tribute Sharon. Im glad you are blogging...I wish we could go have a margarita!
ReplyDeleteme too Crystal! when we win the lottery, consider it DONE!
ReplyDelete